The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have made quite a few changes lately. I will try to list most of them. Sometimes it seems like a lot, but changes always happen. It has been accelerated, but I think part of it is that these changes all work together.
- Church on Sundays was shortened to two hours.
- We now have a home-based curriculum, Come Follow Me, and lessons in Sunday school, seminary, primary, and youth organizations relate to that curriculum.
- Visiting and home teaching were changed to ministering.
- High priest groups and elder’s quorum were combined into one elder’s quorum. Relief society and Elder’s quorum now have increased responsibilities in order for the bishop to lead youth.
- The young men’s presidency was discontinued. The young women have a new theme with increased class flexibility.
- Children and youth change classes in January and young men can be ordained in January instead of waiting for their birthday.
- Youth and children activities were changed to a worldwide program that is home-centered and church supported, that is more flexible.
- There were some changes in the temple, including making it a bit shorter.
- Temple recommend questions were revised and published.
- Many, many temples were announced.
- Women and youth can now witness ordinances.
- Increased emphasis on the church name.
- Missionaries can have increased communication with their families. Sister missionaries can wear pants and missionaries get their calls online.
- Most church pageants were discontinued.
- There were changes to policies regarding the children of LGBT parents.
- Book of Mormon videos were made.
- A new history of the church was started and published.
- There will be revisions to the hymn book and children’s songbook.
I have been nervous sometimes about any upcoming changes. Sometimes change can be hard. I’ve had weird dreams sometimes when something happens in the church and it isn’t right and I just feel weird and sick inside. And then I wake up and I’m glad it’s a dream.
But these changes haven’t been hard at all. They have been wonderful and exciting. They’ve enabled me and my family to come closer to Jesus Christ and learn together. It’s allowed more unity and more flexibility. I feel so happy when I think of them, and it makes me rejoice a little bit inside.
Sometimes it doesn’t feel like a change at all, more like things are settling and evolving into what I always thought they would be. I was doing ministering before it was called ministering. I had increased my gospel instruction in the home before Come Follow Me. I even had two-hour church for a while when a church building was being renovated.
The Lord prepares us so that when things change, we are ready, and the changes don’t seem that big at all. Even in my own personal life, as I have gone through some changes, when I rely on the Lord, nothing is too hard or too jolting and everything just settles into place exactly as it should.
I love that feeling of being able to start to see the big picture instead of individual puzzle pieces. Things just feel right inside–I feel peace and joy.
It’s been an exciting time. I can’t wait for what is to come and I know that I don’t have to be afraid. I can trust in the Lord.