So I have been doing some reflection. I can become quite a miserable person. I always want something more out of life. And while sometimes that seems like a rather ungrateful thing, I just get bored easily. I can’t do the same thing over and over again.
I have tried to find the perfect routine, the perfect cleaning schedule, the right way to live. But in reality, I want change. And I want it regularly. I like having things to look forward to. I like experiencing different things.
And on the other side, I am sort of a lazy, depressed homebody and I have a hard time kicking myself out the door and going on the adventures that would make me happy.
I want to try to be more adventurous in life. I sit and I plan every day with a very strong sense of duty and a very small sense of adventure. I usually want to get things done for the sake of getting them done instead of for the sake of doing them.
So I want to make a change. I want to build more change into my life regularly, so I’m not doing the same thing over and over again (and becoming miserable as I do it). I have some ideas:
- Switch out how I plan. Try new apps, new planners, and new methods–not in an attempt to find the perfect way, to be continually interested in new ways.
- Switch out routines. Instead of trying to stick to the same exact morning routine (and continually failing at it), switch things up. Take a bath instead of a shower, or switch orders, and mix things up.
- Try new recipes regularly, and try cooking in new and different ways that excite me.
- Switch out productivity blocking, software, and rules regularly (I always find new ways to waste my time).
- Go on adventures to try new things and do things in different ways. Learn from other people.
- Create regularly in new and different ways. Draw or paint or play an instrument or sing or create a video or whatever.
- Dare myself to do new and exciting things–such as working on classes, going on dates with my kids, and trying new things.
- Physically push myself to do better. I know I don’t like to do the same sort of exercise every day, so I want to switch it up more. Maybe try running for a week or a bike ride or aerobics class or whatever.
- Be mindful of the exciting changes that happen around me, such as changes to my children and changes to the weather.
- Organize my things in new and different ways.
- Limit what I have to do in favor of things I want to do. And make the things I have to do more interesting so I want to do them.
- Listen to music. Sing. Dance. Create.
- Take joy in the current moment instead of worrying about what the future will bring.